This dish should really be called vegetable rasam and it’s a perfect one pot dinner for a small family. I am not sure why I made it last night. I think it was because I was craving some spicy rasam flavors but didnt feel like making rice and a vegetable separately. I also had a lot of fresh tomatoes of every conceivable size and shape from the garden. This was all I had for dinner and its was perfectly satisfying. You could serve it with a salad and some yoghurt. Add beans or small cubes of tofu to boost the protein content.
Spicy Vegetable Soup with Penne
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 2 - 4
- Chopped Onion - 1 medium
- Crushed chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp. or to taste
- Black mustard seed - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafeteda Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Canola Oil or ghee - 2 tbsp
- Carrot cubed - 1/4 cup
- potato cubed - 1 medium
- chayote squash cubes - 1/2 cup
- chopped ripe tomato - 1 cup
- cherry or grape tomatoes - 10 -12 (optional)
- Chopped cilantro - 1/4 cup
- Rasam Powder - 1/2 tsp. or to taste
- tamarind pulp or extract - 1 tsp
- salt and pepper - to taste
- fresh lemon or lime juice - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 4 - 6 optional
- penne or macaroni pasta - 1 cup
- fresh ginger (optional) - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Heat the oil in a heavy pot and temper the mustard and cumin seeds and add the chilli flakes (or pieces) turmeric powder and asafetida. Add the onions and stir. As the onions begin to clear, add the other vegetable and chopped cilantro, ginger and curry leaves. Add the rasam powder. Saute for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, the tamarind and some salt. You could also add some fresh ground pepper if your rasam powder is mild.
Cover the vegetables with hot water and bring to boil and then lower the heat. Add the pasta and stir and set to simmer covered for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Stir occasionally to keep the pasta from clumping.
You can also add cooked beans or lentils or tofu cubes at the end and simmer for a minute or two.
Serve in large soup bowls with a drizzle of fresh lemon or lime juice and a cilantro garnish.