Raw papaya and mango salad
Raw papaya and mango salad is a typical Thai salad. I have given some variations using some healthy ingredients.
- Raw papaya - 250 gms
- Raw mango( preferably ones which have started to ripen, kilimooku or thothapuri tastes very good) - Half a mango..can vary according to taste
- Red chilli flakes - To taste
- Salt - To taste
- peanuts dry roasted unsalted - 50 gms
- Flax seeds, dry roasted - 50 gms
- Quinoa - A handful
- Barley - Cooked 50 gms
- Chopped Cilantro (coriander leaves) - A handful
Remove skin and seeds from raw (unripe) papaya and grate it ( not fine but use the medium serrated grater). Using the same grater, grate raw (unripe) mango with the skin so that it is crunchy .
Add chilli flakes, salt to your requirement. Normally a tablespoon of chilli flakes will balance the tanginess of the salad. Coarsely grind the roasted, unsalted peanuts, add to salad and mix well . Garnish with cilantro.
You may add roasted flax seeds, almonds or any nuts instead of peanuts.
To make your salad a wholesome meal, you may add cooked, drained and cooled barley, or quinoa, and mix with your salad. Adjust your salt and chilli flakes accordingly.
Using a slightly ripe mango balances the taste.